Friday, May 30, 2014

When Fandom Freaks Out

Don't ask me WHY I'm deciding to chime in on a debate that's already very heated, because I won't be able to answer. I guess I wanted to add my thoughts to the discussion (and apparently torture myself...) and this is my forum to do said discussing. So let's do it!

The weekend of May 23rd-25th Supernatural fans gathered for a convention in Rome (JIB5). During one of his solo panels, Jensen Ackles made a comment regarding the relationship between Dean and Cas (Destiel). I'm sure if you're reading this, you're already well aware of the comment as well as the backlash of Destiel fans around the world. For those who don't know, he flippantly made the comment:

"There wasn't a whole lot of Dean and Cas storyline in Season 9. Personally I kind of enjoy that. I think the whole Dean and Cas thing has gotten a little out of proportion" 

This had fans (particularly Destiel shippers) very upset, some even "leaving" the show because the pain they felt. This ship, Destiel, is a hot-button couple because of the sheer intensity of the fans and what they perceive the show is doing (queerbating) to them each week. Now, I'll just come out right now and say that I do see chemistry between those characters when I watch the show. I'm not sure I would say I want to see that couple become canon, but I greatly enjoy reading fanfic about them and I am perfectly content with the relationship staying completely in the fanfic realm.

However, what I wanted to discuss here is mainly the comment Jensen made. I am a hardcore Dean fan, so I'll admit to my bias when it comes to anything Jensen says/does/acts/breathes...but, I do believe that what he said was taken a little too far and much too personal by the fans. I also find it hard to believe that he is homophobic simply because he isn't "playing" the character as romantically interested in Cas. Being homophobic means discriminating against those who are gay. Having an opinion about a character that you've been playing for nine seasons does not. It's simply his opinion. We all have our opinions of who Dean Winchester is and how he should respond to the situations and characters he interacts with...why can't we allow Jensen to have that same freedom?

Do I feel like the tone and somewhat "flippant" way he dealt with the question was too harsh? Yes. I would have much rather he took the question to heart and really thought about his words. But maybe that's just Jensen's style. I don't want to force him to filter everything he says at Conventions because...well, that's no fun at all. Even Misha mentioned feeling like he couldn't answer the question properly because of all the different contexts his words could be used under.

I hope that we can all understand the complexity of this particular situation and these two characters and agree to disagree with civility. Would I like to see more bisexual characters written with depth, doubt, confidence, questioning...hell yea! Is that a tall order for ANY show, let alone a show that's been running for 9 seasons...definitely.

I'll always love Supernatural. I will always love Dean Winchester. I will always want Jensen to speak his opinions.

I'm not entirely sure WHO is even reading this, but if you are (hi!) please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts below. Let's keep it civil. #SPNFamily

No comments:

Post a Comment